Scented candles are a great addition to any home. There’s nothing better than lighting one to create a relaxing atmosphere or to make your home smell great after a long day. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your candle!
New to Helpling? Helpling is the #1 home services provider in Singapore, trusted by both locals and expats. Book now to enjoy $20 off your first clean!
Burning scented candles at home
1. Trim the wick
Before you light your candle, be sure to trim the wick. Using scissors, nail clippers or a wick trimmer, cut the wick down to about 3-6mm. This will help to prevent the flame from getting too big. If the flame gets too big, it can cause the wax to melt too quickly and cause a sooty mess all over the candle jar.
Not only does this keep you safe from possibly harsh chemicals, but it also ensures that we are able to thoroughly disinfect your home. We also recommend that you return only 30 minutes after the service is completed.
2. Burn the candle for up to 4 hours at a time
You should also only burn your candle for up to 4 hours at a time. If you burn your candle for more than 4 hours at a time, carbon will collect on the wick. This can cause your candle to smoke excessively and produce soot, and the flame will be less stable.
3. Melt the wax fully
When you first light your candle, let it burn for long enough that the wax melts all the way across its surface. This will help to prevent tunnelling, which is when the flame only melts a small area in the middle of the wax pool. This can make your candle last much shorter than it otherwise would. Multi-wick candles are best as more flames create more heat, which will melt the wax quicker.
However, if your candle’s already tunnelled, you can still solve this issue. Simply wrap a piece of aluminium foil around the edges of the jar and let the candle burn. This should cause the wax to melt evenly.
4. Extinguishing the flame
When you’re done with your candle, don’t blow it out – you could end up blowing some of the melted wax off the candle, which is dangerous. It can also create smoke, which will overpower the aroma of the candle you just burnt.
To extinguish a candle properly, either dip the wick of the candle into the melted wax, place the lid of the candle jar back on top, or use a candle extinguisher.
Making the most of your scented candle at home
Above all, remember that candles are open flames – it goes without saying that you need to be careful with them. Place them in a well-ventilated area, and keep them away from children and flammable materials such as curtains or furniture.
By following these simple tips, you can make sure that you get the most out of your candle!
If you’re looking to keep your home smelling fresh, book a cleaning with Helpling. Helpling is a home concierge service that offers a range of home services such as spring cleaning, mattress cleaning and even sofa cleaning. Book now to enjoy $20 off your first clean!
Check out these related articles for more: