Cleaning is a necessary evil. Most people don’t enjoy it, so we just reach for the most conventional products to get the job over and done with. But did you know that using conventional cleaning products is not the best option for our health nor the environment? This is why more and more people are choosing green cleaning products.
But with so many choices in the market, how do you know which ones are the best? In this blog post, we highlight some of the things you should consider when choosing green cleaning products for your home. PS. We’ll also recommend some of our favourite products, so read on!
What is green cleaning?
The main goal of the green cleaning process is to use cleaning solutions and methods that keep us and our environment healthy and free of toxins. Green cleaning can be achieved in two different ways. The first is cleaning the house with only natural substances like baking soda, vinegar, and lemons. The second is seeking out manufactured green cleaning products that are healthy for the environment, which is what this article will focus on.
How to look for eco-friendly cleaners
- Look for a label
When shopping for green cleaning products, the first thing you should look for is a label explaining why the product/packaging is environmentally friendly. This will give you some insight as to whether or not the product is truly eco-friendly.
Some labels to look for include:
|Low VOCs (or no VOCs)|
|Eco-friendly (or environmentally friendly)|
- Ingredients list
The next thing you should do is check the ingredients list. Avoid any cleaning products that contain harmful chemicals like bleach, ammonia, or formaldehyde.
Instead, look for natural ingredients like vinegar, baking soda, essential oils, etc. These are all safe and effective ingredients that will get your home clean without harming your health or the environment.
Green cleaning products should:
- contain ingredients that are plant-based or organically grown using sustainable farming practices
- not contain phosphates, chlorine, artificial fragrances, or colours
- Specific claims about the product
When you’re looking at green cleaning products, you’ll also want to pay attention to whether the product makes specific claims. For example, the claim on a packaging that it produces “20% less waste” is ambiguous and therefore deceptive. It’s unclear if the comparison being made in relation with a preceding product or that of a competitor.
Instead, the company could state, for example, that disposal of the new package contributes 20% less waste by weight or volume to the waste stream.
- Third-party certification
Third-party certification is another way to identify green cleaning products. This means that an independent organisation has tested the product and verified that it meets certain environmental standards.
Some of the most popular certification organisations include EcoLogo, Green Seal, and Energy Star. If a product has one of these certifications, you can be sure that it’s eco-friendly.
Green cleaning products
These are just a few things to consider when you’re choosing green cleaning products for your home. If you keep these factors in mind, you’ll be sure to find the best products for your needs. And if you’re looking for green cleaning product recommendations, check out the list we’ve curated below:
- Mrs. Meyers Clean Day Multi-Surface Everyday Cleaner: This product is made with plant-derived ingredients and comes in recyclable packaging. It’s also certified by the EPA’s Safer Choice program.
Find it here.
- Seventh Generation Liquid Laundry Detergent: This detergent is made with plant-based ingredients and is free of synthetic fragrances, dyes, and chemicals. It’s also packaged in a recycled bottle.
Get it here.
- ECOS Earth Friendly Products: This company makes a wide variety of eco-friendly cleaning products, including all-purpose cleaners, laundry detergents, and dish soap. All of their products are made with natural ingredients and come in recyclable packaging.
Making the switch to green cleaners
It can be rather overwhelming to make the switch to green cleaning products. Rest assured that at Helpling, our cleaners use Soluball, an eco-friendly cleaning product that is biodegradable and hypoallergenic. They will be able to demonstrate how to use the product during your cleaning session.